While many business owners know what a trademark (or “mark”) is, they may not know what the benefits of obtaining a federal registration are. This FAQ discusses the benefits of federal trademark registration.
What Are The Benefits Of A Federal Trademark?
– Public notice of a claim of ownership of the mark
– A legal presumption of ownership of the mark and exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration
– The ability to bring an action concerning the mark in federal court
– The use of the U.S. registration as a basis to obtain registration in foreign countries
– The ability to record the U.S. registration with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to prevent or block counterfeit goods from entering the market.
– The right to use the federal registration symbol ®
– Listing in the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s online databases.
If you would like to discuss these benefits in more detail or how our firm could help you build your trademark portfolio, give us a call and check out our blog! We offer flat-fee trademark packages so entrepreneurs, creators, and business owners know their costs upfront.